I’m cruising down Detroit Avenue and I spot a Caucasian female in her early twenties riding in a 2005 Honda Civic bumping Dead Presidents. WHAT THE HELL? That just struck me as a little different. It’s amazing how hip-hop has grown from where it’s been and is becoming a national musical art form. Then I thought to myself, which artist are sharing positivity and love through their music as opposed to the artists selling and serving pecks, good lucks, breast and a side order of booty?
I always have been an India.Arie fan, Stevie Wonder, Nina Simone, Common, Talib Kwali, Jill Scott, and Eryka Badu fan. These artist spread the words of love, empowerment and respect for ones own culture as well as others. Some of these artist can be overly “pro-black,” but in the end they are trying to empower a race that is still enslaved to this very day (mentally).
Why is it that the subject of love gets thrown off to over weight, or low self-esteem young females, divorced or unmarried women in their mid thirties while sex is reserved for mainstream and popular youth. It amazes me how much popular society does not have an interest in love.
Well, okay, an artist can come out with a song about being in love and the world will go crazy over it. Yet, in the video is a very attractive male or female. Let’s switch this around and say that the person singing or rapping the song is butt ass ugly. I mean, they are sexy in regards to their personality but in just looking at them, they look butt ass ugly. Would as many people buy the CD and watch the song and have it played on the radio stations?
Music is a universal art form that is being used for good purposes by only about 10% of the music industry. The other 90% are just trying to make a quick buck by selling sex. If you were a famous recording artist, author, or movie maker, what message would you like to spread?