Friday, May 19, 2006

Dating...Tips?

One thing I never understood was the anxiety and nervousness surrounding first dates. What’s the big freaking deal? Okay, you could run the risk of making a complete and total ass of yourself and embarrassing yourself, causing your self-esteem to dive lower than the Titanic.

Wait a second.. Could it be?... Wait- You might be able to avoid this typical type of clicheful thinking and come out a dating graduate.

1. Please leave the attitude at home. No one wants to go out with you and your disposition says, “I don’t want to be bothered.” If that is the case, why in the hell did you decide to go out in the first place?

2. Please, brush your teeth thoroughly and pop a stick of gum or a tick-tack. The most unattractive thing is bad breath. Trust me on this.

3. I live in the most boring, yet comfortable city I could ever imagine: Toledo. When it comes down to things to do, we are limited. The first thing I would say is to not go someplace extremely romantic. Please, spare yourself. When you go out on a first date, you are getting to know the other person. You are deciding whether you want to continue the relationship. By all means, men be gentlemen and women be ladies, just don’t expect Casablanca on the first date. RELAX!

4. Spinning off of the previous number, set the date’s atmosphere for casual. The reason I say this is because the more casual the evening is, the more comfortable both parties are. You want your date to get to know you, not an uptight, pretending, over paranoid freak!

5. Last, but certainly not least, females please don’t argue over the check! I’ve had a woman do that and it pissed me off. I thought it was disrespectful for her to outright say, “NO!” when I offered to pay the check. I even compromised and told her she could leave the waitress a tip. She refused and I have not spoken to her since. Lots of people miss their blessings. Times are getting harder so don’t let your pride step in the way of your blessings.


I have more tips, of course. If you have any additional tips or experiences, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment. Until next time, love, peace and empathy to all!

Terry J. Snipes

No comments: